Saturday, December 13, 2008

The noise source is here!

I just got Jan's noise source (well, yesterday actually, I just opened it tonight)!


The noise source, 9V battery clip, attenuator, and antenna.

This is an extremely useful tool for measuring things like the radiation pattern and gain of the radio telescope (as well as the receiver electronics, I need to make a cage for the TV tuner to block out external RF, and a noise source is invaluable to determine if its good to go), as otherwise I would have to depend on the Sun as a noise source. The noise source can also be tweaked to different output levels, via the use of an attenuator (these are particularly useful for calibration). Jan has supplied me with a -10dB attenuator as well to that end (thanks again Jan! :) ).


Merry Christmas to you too Jan, and thanks a bunch! :)

Anyway, I will have the receiver built in a week or so (when I get time to clear off the bench in my garage and solder it together) and some kind of transit mount for the antenna ready by January.

Cheers,

KM

No comments: